Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Acceptance

Isla Mae,
Always know that you are beautiful. Always know that you are loved.....Your daddy and I would never leave you. Always know you can do anything you put your mind to. Always know you are smart, funny, sweet, playful and just AMAZING in every way. We will always accept you for who you are. We will always love you. I just know we will be best friends. I will always be there for you. I love you, we love you!

Love,
Mama

As women I think we're always searching for acceptance.

Thoughts that may run through a woman's head may be "Do I look pretty?" "Do I look fat?" "Do they like me?" Well who knows if these things go through others minds but they go through mine. I try my hardest to never have these thoughts. I have a daughter and I would hope that she would never have these thoughts.

I want her to look in the mirror everyday and know she is beautiful, smart, funny, and genuine.  I want her to be confident. I struggle with confidence. Some day's I look in the mirror and feel "cute" Some day's I look within and feel smart. Some day's I look in the mirror and feel *Blah* I strive to be a good mother and wife.....That's the most important thing in my life.
I think my struggles with confidence stem from my childhood. I struggled with weight even as a child because I saw my mom's daily struggles. I also dealt with a lot of loss......When you no longer have parents to accept you, encourage you and love you, you can feel lonely.
I want to feel pretty. I want to feel smart and I want to feel confident. I want to feel this way so that Isla can have a good role model.
If  you know me well enough you would know that some day's I could give a shit less what people think of me or the life that I live. Then there are some day's I am sensitive. Sensitive to what people think.
I want to feel accepted and loved. I KNOW Alex accepts me and loves me. I KNOW Isla accepts me and loves me and I KNOW that's all that matters.  I think if I didn't want to feel accepted then that would be abnormal, right?

11 comments:

Kittee said...

I think we are on the same wavelength today. :)

Unknown said...

It's totally normal to WANT to be accepted. I'm so glad that you made yourself a little family that does accept and love you, just because you're you! I'm sorry about what you went through when you were younger and with your parents...it sounds like the trials you've been through will definitely make you a great role model for Isla! And I don't think she'll ever have to wonder if she's loved :)

Unknown said...

Oh, and you're little letter to her made me cry! You should definitely print that out and save it for her!

Krista said...

I think your great Barb! But I too have all those thoughts, I hope that I can overcome them before I pass them on to Anika. She needs to know that she is perfect, just like Isla :)

Unknown said...

Krista and Amanda, Thank You for all the kind words. You're both so sweet and I'm so happy to have you both as friends :) <3 <3 <3

jlynn30 said...

Awe....what a great letter to little Isla Mae. :) I think you are great and am so glad that I "met" you. :)

Unknown said...

Thank you Jessica.....I feel the same about you!!!! :)

stefraab said...

Great post barb. This is probably one of my biggest insecurities as a mom. I'm so petrified Alice will grow up with the same lack of confidence and self loathing I had. I hope she always knows I think she's gorgeous and awesome.

Unknown said...

Stef you're such an amazing mommy! I just know Alice will know how loved and beautiful she is! Xo

Abby said...

What a beautiful post! Acceptance is the way to happiness. Isla is blessed to have such an amazing mommy. Although, this makes me miss you being around PB even more.

Lori said...

wow!!!! what a beautiful post! I LOVE what you wrote to Isla! She's so lucky to have you for her Mommy!!! We all have days where we feel insecure but, you're going to be an amazing role model for her!!! I know it!!!! xoxoxoxo