This morning Isla had her third echocardiogram appointment. She was amazing! She is always full of surprises and after her last appointment I prepared for the worst. This time I had a very handy toddler distractor called an iPad.
When we were on the very crowded elevators before and after the appointment I wanted to scream. I’m sorry but my daughter does NOT look like a boy! She has pink shoes, hot pink socks, purple pants, a pink flower on her shirt and a ponytail!! What boy do you know that dresses like that? “She’s a she.” Insert fake smile here______! The worst part is when they would whisper about how much my baby girl looked like a boy! “HELLO, I can hear you!!” Every time I visit this hospital……every time!
I digress…..back to the important heart check-up.
When we walked into the office Isla saw a train table and squealed with delight. The nurses and office staff were playing with her; talking to her and making her feel comfortable. Isla then decided these were her friends and would walk over to their desk to show them the different trains and to have conversation. She had the office laughing and smiling.
After play time she went back for her echo. She sat on my lap and looked at all the “Pooh bear” decals. I put on the iPad while she lounged on my lap and sucked her thumb. Not one peep was made, not one whimper. After the 30 minutes procedure was done we met with the doctor…..She talked his ear off and asked him a million questions: “what’s that?” “Medical equipment” “What’s that?” “My ring.” “What’s that?” “My watch.” She cracks me up and you get the idea.
He told us there has been no change. The holes in her heart are still there and the narrowing of one of her valves is still present. He told us to have her back in 9 months instead of 6. I take that as a good sign. He told me we just have to watch them and they shouldn’t get worse and they shouldn’t require surgical intervention. He said there are ways to widen her valve using a laser and not surgery if it ever gets to that point. I asked him if she would be able to play sports…..my girl loves baseball! He said that shouldn’t ever be a problem.
We thanked the doctor and the staff. Isla took her sticker and happily placed right in the middle of her belly and we both left happy! I feel so lucky to have had this good news today; I know it could be worse. The health and happiness of my little family is so important and nothing else matters!


4 comments:
It sounds like the doctor is confident this is nothing to worry about! Isla Mae is as beautiful and healthy as can be, inside and out! <3 <3 <3
I'm so glad she's a healthy little bean! She's too full of energy not to be :)
I'm also so glad the appt went better than expected. These kids are always full of surprises :)
I'm glad it wasn't bad news! And that doctor's response should be comforting. Iyay for uneventful dr visits ;)
So grateful for news like this.. what a beautiful healthy smart little beanie bean
Post a Comment