My birth story
Liam Dennis Beron
October 24, 2012
39 Weeks 5 Days (Look at those puffy feet)
It was a scheduled C-section and not something I wanted to go through again! I wanted to VBAC and my doctor thought I could, she was confident he would be smaller than Isla but I never went into labor.
We scheduled my C-section for almost 40 weeks and the night before the section I started leaking fluid…..YAY! I thought maybe just maybe I could VBAC after all.
We arrived at the hospital at 5:15am and I was proud of myself for not crying the entire way there. I missed Isla already and told Alex he was not to mention her name. Anytime I thought about her I’d cry. I was taken into the pre-op room where I was asked a million questions and Alex and I joked the entire time. He kept me sane! I went in with a good attitude; I was determined to have a good recovery. I had to do it for Isla; I had to get home to her.
My doctors checked me and still no progress but she did say I had a slow leak of fluid. She gave me the option to try and VBAC for a while or just have him that morning. I had a minute to decide. I choose the section for a few reasons. I had a trustworthy person with Isla that had flown in to watch her for us (Thank You Jenny), I didn’t want to labor all day just to have a section and my anxiety was killing me and I needed my baby.
I was walked into the operating room and my anesthesiologist was amazing, the nurses were all amazing! I didn’t go in scared to death like last time, this time I was prepared. I joked through all my prep time and I felt pretty good. Then things got started….Alex and the doctor came in and it was go time. I took lots of deep breaths and that helped me relax. I was feeling tons of pressure in my ribs they couldn’t get the kid out and had to use a vacuum! Next thing I know I hear *GASP* “Oh my god he’s huge!” “If he’s less than 9lbs we’re putting him back in!” and “You just gave birth to a 3 month old!” I started crying the moment I heard his little cry. They let me hold him as much as I could and that was amazing, I didn’t have that with Isla. Right away Alex and I thought this is the boy version of Isla, they looked so much alike.
I had been telling Alex he was big, I just knew he was. The aches and pains I felt were out of control and my body felt beat up. My belly measure on time but it looked huge! I was no longer sleeping or even sitting comfortably. I couldn’t bend down or sit up straight without pain. I knew he was big!
The nurse came in and told me “We’ll let your husband tell you the weight!” Well goodness how big was this boy? They sewed me back up and I was still feeling pretty good. I was taking lots of deep breaths and talking to everyone, again I was trying to stay as upbeat as possible.
Our first picture
Liam Dennis Beron! I know my dad would be so proud of that name and I feel so lucky that I was able to carry it on, he's named after a strong loving man!
Mommy and baby
They wheeled me into recovery and they showed me the scale right away. And my words were “you’re shitting me!!!” I thought it was a joke…..10lbs 8.5oz and 21 inches long! Well damn I just lost 11lbs easy! I guess I really do grow big ones. His sugars were tested just like Isla’s were and they both showed no signs of high sugar in the bloodstream, I never develop gestational diabetes and my blood pressure was normal all pregnancy. I just grow them big and healthy. I wanted to nurse right away. I had the shakes bad just like last time but he latched perfectly just like his sister and that was a huge relief. He is a more aggressive nurser then Isla was but I’m trying to grin and bare it.
I swear he looked smaller and felt smaller than Isla and he didn’t have as many rolls but they told me his chest measurement was off the charts. He’ll be the perfect size to play baseball, Angels baseball!
Isla was excited to see her baby Liam and wanted to take him home right away. She was a bit sad to see me nurse him in the hospital because that was our thing for so long. Now that I’m home it doesn’t seem to bother her. I cried every time she left the hospital and would say “what about mom?” It broke my heart. She’s adjusting well now that we’re all home, just hyper at times. I’m trying so very hard to keep her routine intact and to try and play outside, play dolls, read books and color with her while nursing. I even walked a good mile with some pain to watch her trick or treat. I did it for her! And I think any new mom would do the same for their oldest.
It's the best feeling in the world to watch your babies meet for the first time.
I’m now off all medication and was on the lowest dosage possible. I walked as soon as I could and was determined to get home early to my baby girl. I managed to crawl into her bed each night to sing her to sleep just as I always did and she loves the one on one time.
I’m trying to be the best mom I can be to both my kids. I’d say having baby number two has been much easier. I’m more confident and don’t sweat the small stuff but I face new challenges. I want both my kids to have my attention and I feel like I’m being stretched thin at times but I will find balance.
My two babies! I love them both so much!
1 comment:
Love it! You're a trooper, and you did a great job :)
Post a Comment