Sunday, March 4, 2012

Adventures in toddler beds

Isla has made having a toddler bed a little bit of an adventure to say the least. It all started out good and well. She started napping and was waking up at 6:00am, no complaints here. Then last  Saturday rolled around with a nice 4:30am wake up call.......ummmmmm No way! We put her back in her room and told her it was time to go night-night. She wasn't happy but did go back to sleep. Then about an hour later I hear a crash, it sounded like her pots and pans. I slowly got dressed to go bring her into our room for some cartoons.
I walked in to find this

I was just about to say "What is going on here?" "This is not okay!!" Then I opened the door a little wider to find my baby's little hand covered in blood. I called for Alex to come help me and Isla tells me "Oh my gosh!" Not one tear was shed. I guess that was the crash I heard!
I never in a million years would have thought she would climb onto her play kitchen and rip her picture off the wall. Luckily it was just a cut thumb and the cut was minor enough to heal on it's own.
I felt a lot of guilt over this. I took all glass picture frames off her wall and hoped this was enough to teach a lesson. I think it was because she's done nothing close to this all week now.
After nap she now plays quietly in her room....a room filled with toys and books without incident. It's not like she has nothing to entertain her.

Since this day she's been waking at 4:30- 5:00 every morning and passing out at naps. She's never been one to wake up so early. She's the toddler that slept till 7:00am every morning, I was spoiled. I think she wakes around 5:00 and instead of putting herself back to sleep like she used to she now wakes up, turns on her light and plays. When she's up playing quietly I can't sleep....After last Saturdays incident I think it's understandable.....although I do doze off now and again.

Our house is a bit sleep deprived right now. Alex and I have both adjusted our bedtimes to get an extra hour of sleep every night. I'm confident I can "re-train" her and by golly I'll die trying. She's quite the spirited little girl.
Poor Wally

2 comments:

stefraab said...

Lol, spirited is a bit of an understatement. Oh isla :)

Eva Marie said...

oh my.. been here! It will all work out in the end. Im here as proof :)